1870 - Present

Piney Grove Baptist Church has been a pillar in the community for over 140 years. We have helped lead many men, women & children to become Disciples of Christ over the years, and have been a staple in the Piney Grove community from the log cabin Church to the present edifice today. As a church, we have stood the test of time as the second oldest black church in Virginia Beach, Virginia.

The following ministers have proudly served as pastors of Piney Grove:

  • 1870- 18** Rev. John Jackson
  • 18**- 18** Rev. Samuel Jones
  • 1889-1893 Rev. John W. Kirby
  • 1894-1914 Dr. Willis Brown
  • 1915-1916 Rev. Charles H. Moton
  • 1916-1918 Rev. W.P. Curl
  • 1921-19** Rev. A.E. Owens
  • 19**-1928 Dr. W.J. Lucas
  • 1928-1953 Dr. J.A. Brinkley
  • 1954-1955 Rev. Benjamin Roberson
  • 1956-1969 Rev. R.S. Steele
  • 1971-1973 Rev. Howard Grier
  • 1976-2001 Rev. Charles A. Vinson
  • 2004-2012 Dr. Todd C. Davidson
  • 2014-current Pastor D.L.Williams, M.Div.

Around 1870, a group of settlers came to the community and finding the soil fertile and the area thickly wooded, each selected his home and began to build up the community. Charles Jukes saw the necessity for a church and discussed the matter with Sister Sawyer. In the fall of 1870, the church was built. An acre of ground was purchased and a log cabin was built. This building was daubed with clay, covered with slabs and had a bush shelter at the door. Its value was approximately $35.00.

The following 30 persons were Piney Grove’s first members:

Bill Booze, Nancy Booze, Olive Brown, Elick Ferebee, Jane Ferebee, Susan Ferebee, Harvey Frank, Wiley Grandy, Joicy Griffin, Lewis Griffin, Charles Jukes, Malinda Jukes, Benjamin Kittrell, Wilson Parson, Stanhope Riddick, Hannah Riddick, John Rogers, Lucy Rogers, Abram Savage, Alcora Savage, Isiah Savage, Lucy Savage, Winnie Savage, Delia Smith, Stephen Smith, Joiney Sparrow, Telly Walke, Jeffrey Williams and Jane Williams, Jim Williams  

The ministers during this time were Rev. John Jackson and Rev. Samuel Jones.  

The first officers were as follows:

Deacons: Benjamin Kittrell, Jim Williams, Charles Jukes;

Secretary: Wilson Parson

Sextons: Brother Lewis Griffin and Sister Joicy Griffin.  

Sunday school was started in 1872, and continues to presently thrive as a staple of the church. As the population of the Piney Grove Community continued to grow, so did the church’s membership. Eventually, The Log Cabin Church, in which they worshipped, became inadequate to accommodate the members. The members decided to build a more adequate church. The cost of the new structure was about $800.  

The little house, which was at the rear of the building, was built as a council room for the pastor and deacons to meet and formulate plans for the church. Rev. Samuel Jones was pastor at the time of the erection of this building. The church was both the spiritual and social uplift of the community.

In 1889 Rev. Willis Brown became the pastor of Piney Grove Baptist Church. Rev. Brown was confided in and respected as a good leader. The Church continued to grow and the membership at that time was approximately 250. Rev. Brown pastored successfully for 20 years. Under the leadership and pastorate of Rev. Brown, the third church was built. As the church was growing in number, wisdom and grace, it was decided that the church needed a better building in which to worship. At a church meeting the members decided to follow their leader in the reception of a new building to be placed across the road. The new structure was to have a baptism pool. The building was erected in 1901. During this time, Piney Grove was considered one of the leading churches in the community. Rev. Brown pastored Piney Grove until his death in September 1914.

After a host of other pastors, Rev. J.A. Brinkley was elected pastor of the church on September 11, 1928.

More and more interest was taken in the youth. Each Sunday morning, Dr. Brinkley, in the morning services held a “Children’s Hour”. The service consisted of a song and a Bible story questionnaire or other fatherly advice. In January 1953, the church, under Dr. Brinkley launched an all-out fund drive for a complete renovation of the Church. Dr. Brinkley did not live to see this vision come true. Dr. Brinkley died in February 1953 after serving Piney Grove for 25 years. The church suffered a great loss.

On November 1, 1956, the church elected the Rev. Roger S. Steele as pastor of the Piney Grove Baptist Church. Under his leadership the building was remodeled. Bathrooms, Sunday school rooms, and a Pastor’s study were added to the church. New lights were installed, a new heating system was installed, a kitchen was built in the old church, new floors were put in and a parking lot was erected.  

On May 13, 1976, the Rev. Charles A. Vinson was elected as pastor. During the early years of Pastor Vinson’s tenure, many improvements were made to the church’s edifice.  The Church experienced spiritual growth through his proclaiming of God’s Word. The membership, as well as the financial standing of the church greatly increased. Several deacons, trustees, and ministers were added to the church. Pastor Vinson also acknowledged our Church Mothers: Mother Zera Mae Baucom, Mother Elsie Etheridge, Mother Nennis Hightower, Mother Virginia Munden, Mother Elmira Roberson, Mother Willie Mae Smith, Mother Viliethia Stieff. Pastor Vinson shared his vision for a new church building with the congregation and on August 23, 1987, Piney Grove Baptist Church celebrated a Ground Breaking Ceremony. In 1989, through the guidance of Pastor Vinson and the dedication of the Piney Grove family, the Lord blessed and made the building of the New Piney Grove Baptist Church a reality. A dedication service was held on May 14, 1989. Pastor Vinson served as pastor for twenty-five years. The church accepted his letter of retirement on September 24, 2001.  

On January 24, 2004, the Church called Rev. Todd C. Davidson as the Pastor of Piney Grove Baptist Church. Under the leadership of Pastor Dr. Davidson, God blessed the church spiritually and financially, as well as in membership growth. Piney Grove opened its’ doors to the Girl Scout Ministry under the direction of Sister Nichole Adams and The Pantry of Blessings, under the leadership of Sister Sylvia Etheridge; making food available to those in need. The mortgage on our current structure was paid in full, and on December 31, 2005 we celebrated the burning of our mortgage. Many ministers were licensed and ordained. Minister Linda Isaac, Minister Angela Lambert, Minister Bette Clemmons Hampton and Minister ReNita Inmon. Rev. Cassandra Keys, Rev. Charles Winslow, & Rev. Ruby Fields. Dr. Davidson also ordained the following Deacons: Deacon Joseph McCree, Deacon Ron Taylor, Deacon Kevin Keys, Deacon Capus Peterson and Deacon Herbert Thrower (deceased-July 29, 2007), Deacon Marcus Williams, Deacon Andre Washington, Deacon James Taylor, Deacon Troy Thornton, Deacon Maurice Adams, and Deacon Bernard James. & Deacon James Laster.

In 2010 Dr. Davidson appointed several members as Trustees In Training, inclusive of Brother Percy Allen, Brother Charles Parrish, Sister Alicia Williams, and Brother Emmett Williams. Several were also appointed to the Deaconess, including Moncella McCree, Jan Taylor-President, Osia Evans, Helen Evans, Helen Roberson Melissa Peterson, Pauline Ajose, Virginia Frink, Marcia Washington, Lumisher James, Sylvia Etheridge & Rosetta Laster. Sister Sandra Parrish, Church Clerk and Sister Joyce Lang, Assistant Church Clerk served and continue to serve as recorders. Under the 8-year leadership tenure of Pastor Dr. Todd C. Davidson, Piney Grove grew tremendously to approximately 1800 members. He resigned July of 2012.

History of Piney Grove Baptist Church Groundbreaking Committee, 2017

On December 7, 2013, the Church called Pastor D.L. Williams as Pastor of Piney Grove Baptist Church by majority vote. Pastor D. L. Williams preached his first sermon at Piney Grove on New Year’s Eve 2013. Under Pastor Williams, the following progress has been made: The Salem Road Property, purchased under Pastor Davidson, was sold back to the city; Due to Pastor Williams’ appreciation for the richness of the church’s history in its present location, his desire was to not uproot the church away from its present location, but rather to expand where the church has been historically rooted for the last 140+ years. Consequently, funds from the Salem Road property sale was used to purchase property adjacent to the Church owed by the Reid family; new plans for building on the property purchased from the Reid family were drawn up by our hired Architect (Richard Ivy), which included parking lot of over 250 parking spaces, an admin wing with a new pastor’s office, trustee office, supporting staff offices, a welcome lobby, a conference room, along with two additional classroom spaces. The new building plans also include a new sanctuary seating approximately 900 worshippers. In June of 2015, the City Planning Commission and the City Council of Virginia Beach approved the expansion of our parking lot and the building of a new edifice, and the church broke ground for this building project on February 12, 2017.

Pastor Williams has also launched several new ministries.

Koinonia – a ministry that is responsible for planning Church-wide fellowship activities which brings all ages together in Christian fellowship.

Impact - young adult ministry serving ages 19-35.

M.I.T. - (Ministers in Training) an educational ministry meant to train current ministers & those prepared to accept their calling to the preaching ministry.

Sounds of Victory - A new choir combined of members of two former choirs, {Anointed Praise Gospel & Judah Praise).

Redeveloped youth ministry - The youth ministry was restructured to be more age sensitive. Sub youth groups were created (Kingdom Kids, iConnect, & Next Generation).

Hugs & Love - A welcoming ministry, made up mostly of the Deaconess, to warmly hug and greet every worshipper as they come in the building for Sunday worship.

Security Ministry - A group of volunteers who provide surveillance for the church during worship service, and are responsible for all safety plans for the church.

The Van Ministry - volunteers drive the church van to pick up members, and visitors who would like to attend the 11:00am Sunday service, but have no transportation.

Holland Rd Elementary Partnership - Under the leadership of Pastor Williams became a “Community Partner” with Holland Road Elementary School. Church members volunteer in assisting the school, students and teachers, where needed during the school day.

E-giving – To keep up with the growing technological advances, Pastor Williams led the church to instituting an e-giving system whereby members can conveniently text their tithes & offerings, or go online and give. The e-giving system also allows for mass messaging via texts and emails from the administration. 

Several Deacons have been ordained: Joseph Burgess, Terrance Evans & Ronald Frink.

Current Deacon elects include: Joseph Allen, Larry Ames, Edward Caldwell, Llyod Claude, Herman Fonville, Teddy Griffin, & Phillip McCall. New Trustees were approved to train as a trustee (Arthur Beverly; Thomas Wolfe). In August of 2016, Pastor Williams licensed several ministers: Clyde Bennett, Hannah Dunbar, Michael Dunbar, Howard Gordon, Femi Gordon, Angela Hunter, James Laster, Sydnette Lopez, Pedro Lopez, & Dre’Langala Sewell.

He also ordained Minister Angela Lambert, Laverne Ethridge & Linda Isaac.  

Pastor Williams has shared the "Vision" God released to him; we continue to move forward in everything God has in store for us, as we are led by an anointed man of God.

Service Times

  • 7:45am - Worship
  • 9:45am - Sunday School
  • 11:00am - Worship

Address

Piney Grove Baptist Church
2804 Holland Road
Virginia Beach, Virginia, 23453

Contact Us

757-427-6831
pineygro@pineygrovebaptistchurch.org

give